Whether you’re considering a religious vocation or simply trying to lead a Christ-centered life, Franciscan friar Casey Cole has news: Christian life doesn't end with a profession of faith or hearing of God's call. That's when it begins.
While the trappings of a professed Franciscan’s life may be different from that of a layperson, the inspiration and foundation are exactly the same: We are disciples of Christ called to live the Gospel in our world. Casey may wear brown while you wear red; he may work at a Church while you work in a school; and he may profess vows of poverty, chastity and obedience while you have yet to make any formal commitments in your life. The expressions may be different, but the life is the same.
Based on a series of contagiously enthusiastic blog posts Casey wrote while he was in formation, Called: What Happens After Saying Yes to God reflects on realities that are common to anyone who is serious about living a sincere Christian life and trying to follow the message of Jesus in the Gospels.
- All Christians must discern God’s call for them.
- All Christians struggle at times knowing how to pray.
- All Christians work to be in intimate relationships with others.
- All Christians are challenged to give of themselves so to rely more on God.
- All Christians have a mission of building up the kingdom.
- And all Christians, like it or not, fail along the way.
In his own path of discernment and discipleship, Casey has found a life that brings him amazement and wonder, sorrow and joy, encouragement and challenges, and he’s eager to share it all with everyone he can. Called offers inspiration and guidance to all those pursuing a life in Christ, in whatever form that may take. What you wonder, what you struggle with, what you experience in your daily life—you’re not alone.