- Lived fascinating lives that make legends seem dull by comparison
- Practiced heroic selfness, detachment, self-denial, and generosity
- Displayed startling energy and stamina in fulfilling their missions
- Transformed society through ways of thinking far ahead of their time
- Left their imprint on the world's geography, languages, and cultures
This new, definitive edition of Fr. Roche's modern classic features a new Foreword about the author's life by Paul Thigpen. It also features 133 new biographic and explanatory footnotes; comprehensive Scripture citations, and an updated style and vocabulary to make it accessible to the contemporary reader.
We must never be "reconciled to our own mediocrity," Fr. Roche insists. Let the high heroism portrayed in Splendor of the Saints stir you "to scale the heights and to get your head among the stars."