In an exceptional combination of an ancient form of Scripture study with historical, theological, and biblical perspectives on the Creed, Stephen Binz leads us on an incredible journey of enlightenment and appreciation.
The Creed, proclaimed in Christian initiation and eucharistic liturgy, professes the faith of the ancient church. Discover how and why we proclaim belief in God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and in the church as one, holy, catholic, and apostolic. Explore how the Scriptures formed the Creed and how the Creed continues to guide our interpretation of Scripture.
Lectio Divina, the ancient practice of Scripture immersion, is at the heart of this process. Combined with the tradition and scholarship of the Church, it explores complex topics with sequential steps of study, meditation, and internalization. Specifically, every chapter leads you forward through a sequence of:
- Listening – Reading Scripture with expectancy, trusting that God will speak His Word to us through it
- Understanding – Seeking to comprehend the meaning of the text, encountering God there and being changed by that encounter
- Reflecting – Linking the truth of the Scriptures to the experience of faith in the world in which we live
- Praying – A dialogue with God: we listen to God, then we respond in prayer
- Acting – After prayerfully listening to God through a passage of Scripture, we should be inspired to make a difference in the way we live
The Lectio Divina Bible Study series is suitable for parish, small group, or individual use.