Praying with the Bible’s Great Prayers
In an exceptional combination of one of the most ancient forms of Scripture study with historical, theological, and scriptural perspectives, Stephen Binz leads us on an incredible journey of enlightenment and appreciation in the areas of prayer, Sacraments, and the Mass. Lectio Divina, the ancient practice of Scripture immersion, is at the heart of this process. It explores complex topics with sequential steps of study, meditation, and internalization.
This study shows the way that various characters in the Bible prayed and what they can teach you about prayer. It also delves into various types of prayer and what you can learn from them.
Every chapter leads you forward through a sequence of:
- Listening – Reading Scripture with expectancy, trusting that God will speak His Word to us through it
- Understanding – Seeking to comprehend the meaning of the text, encountering God there and being changed by that encounter
- Reflecting – Linking the truth of the Scriptures to the experience of faith in the world in which we live
- Praying – A dialogue with God: we listen to God, then we respond in prayer
- Acting – After prayerfully listening to God through a passage of Scripture, we should be inspired to make a difference in the way we live
The Lectio Divina Bible Study series is suitable for parish, small group, or individual use.