Grief touches all of our lives, but it does not have to paralyze us with fear or inaction. God allows suffering because He knows how powerful it can be to our spiritual lives and to helping us fully embrace His love and mercy. In this insightful and practical book, you’ll learn how to live a life of redemptive suffering that will draw you through grief into a state of tenacity, meaning, holiness, and joy.
Author Jeannie Ewing is no stranger to suffering. Her family has long struggled with bipolar disorder and depression, and her baby daughter was born with a rare genetic disorder that caused her bones to prematurely fuse together. Despite the many layers of sadness, loss, confusion, and anger, Jeannie responded to God’s calling and transformed her life into one with profound purpose and joy.
Combining her training in psychology and counseling with real-life examples, Jeannie will show you that there is much life to be lived in the midst of loss, and that all things – even the most painful life experiences – are working together for a greater good. You’ll also learn:
- The all-too-often misunderstood difference between grief and depression.
- The spiritual benefits to uniting your crosses with Jesus’s Passion and Death.
- The counterintuitive notion that grief and joy can coexist.
- The spiritual danger of internalizing our pain and hiding it from others
- How great saints like St. John of the Cross and St. Therese of Lisieux struggled to make sense out of suffering.
- The six spiritual principles that will assist you on the journey of navigating grief.
- How to know when you should seek professional help.
- Ways in which God is calling you to bring hope and joy to those dwelling in darkness.
- How to confidently confront the nothingness and emptiness you feel in your interior life.
- And Meditations on the Stations of the Cross, the Sorrowful Mysteries, and the Seven Sorrows of Mary that will help you reflect on how redemptive suffering can help you embrace God’s love and mercy.